Dr. Gordon V. Barrows, DBA, MBA
Mayor of New Bethlehem Pennsylvania
Welcome to the New Bethlehem area and Redbank Valley community! My name is Gordon Barrows and I serve as the Mayor of New Bethlehem Borough, located in the heart of the Redbank Valley community.
I am honored to have the privilege of serving the people of New Bethlehem, to support business, community and personal growth within the borough, while maintaining the small-town appeal and family-friendly environment that makes New Bethlehem such great place to work, live and raise a family.
I am committed to providing responsive, innovative and results-driven solutions in the best interest of the taxpayers of New Bethlehem Borough, and for the betterment of the New Bethlehem area and Redbank Valley community.
CONTACT: I invite you to contact the Office of the Mayor with any questions, suggestions or feedback by calling 814.275.2003 or via email: [email protected]
The official duties of the Mayor include:
- Administering oaths and affirmations
- Presiding over mandatory reorganization meetings
- Voting to break tie votes on council
- Taking part in council discussions
- Declaring an emergency & regulating actions during that time
- Administering to the police department
- Performing marriage ceremonies
- Attending ribbon-cutting ceremonies
- Representing the borough at public events
- Speaking at school functions
- Being involved in community projects and organizations
Administering to the Police Department duties include:
- Enforcing ordinances and regulations
- Generate a monthly report for Council’s review
- Promote effective communication and collaboration
- Establish annual goals and budgetary plan-of-action
- Support recruitment and retention efforts
- Improve operations and long-term sustainability
PROMOTE ECONOMIC VITALITY:
- Promote, support and retain businesses in New Bethlehem
- Improve job opportunities throughout the community
- Identify and market New Bethlehem’s assets
- work w/ Chamber, Trail, Redbank Ren & other community organizations
- Monitor employee performance
- Monitor finances and work with accounting and insurance professionals
- Promote and support events that showcase the community
- work w/ Chamber & other community organizations
- Lobby and seek state and county assistance to deal with blight
- Seek and apply for grants as available
- Improve police visibility and effectiveness
- Work to promote a safe, community environment
- Develop standards for public safety services
- Coordinate law enforcement with local communities
- Be prepared to deal with accidents, natural and man-made disasters
- Improve gateways to the borough
- Improve signage and promote wayfinding
- Improve proactive code enforcement
- Improve building and grounds maintenance throughout the community
- Improve the image of the borough
- Improve customer service
- Review and comment on proposed County legislation
- Take required classes and tests (FEMA/PEMA)
- Review and comment on Penn Dot plans and actions
- Enhance communication with public, organizations and businesses
- Respond promptly to citizen requests
- Promote, coordinate, and support events that showcase the community
- work w/ Chamber & other community organizations
- Measure and improve citizen satisfaction
- Sponsor opportunities for public participation
- Update and digitize records
- Maintain communication with local municipalities, County, State and Federal Representatives
New Bethlehem Mayor Gordon Barrows publishes a monthly report to promote economic vitality, safety, community aesthetics, government mandates and communications. Click the PDF below to download/save/print.
New Bethlehem Mayor Gordon Barrows publishes news, events & community information on a daily basis via social media. You are encouraged to Like/Follow New Bethlehem Borough on Facebook for the latest news and alerts: Facebook.com/NewBethlehem
Click the questions below to reveal the answers to some of the most frequently asked questions about the Mayor of New Bethlehem.
View Mayor Barrows Website
Gordon V. Barrows became the mayor of New Bethlehem Borough in 2019. The Mayor of New Bethlehem Borough is the highest-ranking elected official in the municipal government of New Bethlehem Pennsylvania.
The Mayor is the Chief Executive Officer and Administrative Head of Town government.
As Executive Officer of the Town, the Mayor is responsible for the day-to-day operations of the Town.
The Mayor represents the Town in intergovernmental relationships.
The Mayor presents an annual State of the Community message.
The Mayor annually submits a proposed budget and capital plan to the Town Council.
The Mayor is recognized as the head of Town government for all ceremonial purposes and by the Governor for purposes of military law.
The Mayor serves a four-year term. If appointed, they serve until the next election. The Mayor is elected on a nonpartisan, at-large basis.
The Mayor chairs the Town Council meetings and votes on issues before the Council only to break a tie vote.
The Mayor has power to veto Council legislation. Vetoed ordinances and resolutions can be overridden by the Council by an affirmative majority vote.
The Mayor has line-item veto power over most appropriation items in the budget or any ordinance or resolution.
Contact the Borough’s Secretary Richard McGarrity at 814.275.2003 or [email protected]
The Mayor’s Office is located inside ‘The Jewelry Shop’ on Broad Street in New Bethlehem PA.
Postal mail can be sent to 210 Lafayette St. New Bethlehem PA 16242
“You are certainly the most visible, socially interactive and community-oriented council member this town has ever had! You are blessed with good sense, common sense, and business sense! Glad to see your willingness to continue serving!” – Pam E., Community Member
“Your wisdom, vision and leadership are a real asset to the community. I am really proud of you my friend!” – Fred M., retired Pennsylvania State Representative
“Our community is certainly fortunate to have you on Council. Thank you for your faithful, continued service.” – Bayonne H., Community Member
“Please know that everything you do in our community is so very appreciated! You have been an amazing person to cover so much and support every event! You never say I can’t! Always sure I can!” – Ann K., School Board Member
“It was great to see you Gordon and chat about the outstanding things you are doing with your business and in the community!” – Donna O., current Pennsylvania State Representative
“Gordon from the First Time I met You I knew You were Special and Loved the Lord. He has Your Plan. New Bethlehem will always be Your Home.” – Katy B., Community Member
“This week I’m at the United States Senate Youth Program which has been inspiring – and I am grateful to have been pushed and supported by mentors like you. Your kindness to me has been a great influence, and I am glad to have met you. I appreciate all the help you’ve given me over the last year. Thank you!” – Colin S., retired Junior Borough Council Member
The Office of Mayor Gordon Barrows welcomes you to contact his office by calling (814) 275-2003 or via email by using the form below or [email protected].